No More Wdc!

Getting back to topic looks like WDC will be no more after March next year, but then I guess everyone will know that after being consulted about any change, seeing as it represents a fundamental shift in local democracy!

If the MP's are not happy about the change and the only person crowing about it is the chief exc of NCC and it failed the public vote just who is putting it into action and more to the point why?

Merlin,

I see Newbiggin has put in to become a Parish council, I have no doubt Bedlington will do the same but a word of advice, look for the hidden agenda with the people that propose it!!!!

Malcolm,

why don't you stand for election, you have the right idea's and you obviously have your ear to the ground and are aware of what is happening. I am sure there are other people in Bedlington that are like minded and would support you.

Go for it.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Malcolm,

why don't you stand for election, you have the right idea's and you obviously have your ear to the ground and are aware of what is happening. I am sure there are other people in Bedlington that are like minded and would support you.

Go for it.

nen point wdc is finished and there will be nen places in the new council as the fat cats will have acquired them!

Malcolm,

Go for it.

This is the problem, many people go for it, only to find once they are in the position they thought they needed to be in to change things, they find either the position is not high enough or the funds just aint there.

i've also heard of councilors talk about shifting funds, 'robbing peter' so to speak, to get things done.

all it did was get the idea thrown out, then the services robbed were deemed to be able to function on this reduced rate, and so thats the way it stayed.

I dunno how true it is, but i wouldnt like to be the one blamed for LESS money coming into bedlington, even if my intentions were good.

anyways, should a vote be made, i would think the majority of bedlington residents would prefer to have nothing, that way they have a reason for complaining about high rates etc. Hence why we aint rallying on the street to 'keep our community center' or 'save the golf club'

This is the problem, many people go for it, only to find once they are in the position they thought they needed to be in to change things, they find either the position is not high enough or the funds just aint there.

i've also heard of councilors talk about shifting funds, 'robbing peter' so to speak, to get things done.

all it did was get the idea thrown out, then the services robbed were deemed to be able to function on this reduced rate, and so thats the way it stayed.

I dunno how true it is, but i wouldnt like to be the one blamed for LESS money coming into bedlington, even if my intentions were good.

anyways, should a vote be made, i would think the majority of bedlington residents would prefer to have nothing, that way they have a reason for complaining about high rates etc. Hence why we aint rallying on the street to 'keep our community center' or 'save the golf club'

My reference to Malcolm going for it was based upon the fact that he has demonstrated a knowledge of how councils work (on this forum).

If you want to get anything done you have to start somewhere after all the Labour, Conservative and the Liberal party had to begin at some point in time even if it has taken a few years to get established.

Why cant we have a common sense party and not a collection of MP's that are cleaver talkers but do nothing except listen to the minority.

My reference to Malcolm going for it was based upon the fact that he has demonstrated a knowledge of how councils work (on this forum).

If you want to get anything done you have to start somewhere after all the Labour, Conservative and the Liberal party had to begin at some point in time even if it has taken a few years to get established.

Why cant we have a common sense party and not a collection of MP's that are cleaver talkers but do nothing except listen to the minority.

is it realy the minority tho?

with reference to a swimming pool in bedlington, i think alot of people would rather travel to surrounding areas than pay extra to live.

the front street? why would anyone pay more for a small buisnesses product when they can get it cheeper?

i dont mean to sount like i've given up, but i have heared councilors who have said 'right, i'm gonna do this, will you back me?' and 90% of the people shouting for it sit down.

the councilors do the things they get backing for, unfortunatly the only people that seem to be doing the backing are those that dont want what we want! hence why it always seems to go 'the minority's' way. That minority are the only ones that do anything.

the rest sit back expecting it to just happen coz it should!

Getting back to topic looks like WDC will be no more after March next year, but then I guess everyone will know that after being consulted about any change, seeing as it represents a fundamental shift in local democracy!

If the MP's are not happy about the change and the only person crowing about it is the chief exc of NCC and it failed the public vote just who is putting it into action and more to the point why?

Merlin,

I see Newbiggin has put in to become a Parish council, I have no doubt Bedlington will do the same but a word of advice, look for the hidden agenda with the people that propose it!!!!

Where do you get such information?I nearly always find out only when things are done and dusted!

Mr Darn dont you worry son the golf club will shortly be in safe hands,just as soon as my lotto numbers pop up :lol: :lol: Seriously tho the members are doing everything they can to aquire the club.

We'd be better off with The Monster Raving Looney Party,they got to be better than what we got at the minute :lol:

Mr Darn dont you worry son the golf club will shortly be in safe hands,just as soon as my lotto numbers pop up :lol::lol: Seriously tho the members are doing everything they can to aquire the club.

They were just examples.

dont get me wrong, i have no knowledge of the way the cogs turn at all, this opinion is based on what i hear over peoples shoulders in the club!

Maybe what we need is a centralised place that all bedlington residents have access too, like a website dedicated to bedlington, maybe with a forum on that website so everyone could voice their opinion on what they want. This website could be run by someone who has a keen interest in the welfare of bedlington, someone who is willing to set vital discussions in motion to see exactly what people think, and want. Obviously it would need some major advertising, but wouldnt such a place be great?

oh! hold on! WE HAVE ONE!

its just a shame we couldnt do something drastic like create a brand new forum with an account for each and every bedlington resident, and just send the passwords out via snailmail so duplicate accounts could not be created.... Or am i going too far? :blink:

seriously tho, this is just the place for just such a debate, and its being wasted!

is it realy the minority tho?

with reference to a swimming pool in bedlington, i think alot of people would rather travel to surrounding areas than pay extra to live.

the front street? why would anyone pay more for a small buisnesses product when they can get it cheeper?

i dont mean to sount like i've given up, but i have heared councilors who have said 'right, i'm gonna do this, will you back me?' and 90% of the people shouting for it sit down.

the councilors do the things they get backing for, unfortunatly the only people that seem to be doing the backing are those that dont want what we want! hence why it always seems to go 'the minority's' way. That minority are the only ones that do anything.

the rest sit back expecting it to just happen coz it should!

Instead of sitting back why don't we set up The Talk Of The Town Party and do something about it?After all people on here seem to know what Bedlington needs and why!!

Pete,

"Malcolm,

why don't you stand for election,.."

Thanks for the kind words but as I said before I am now relegated, for several reasons, to the ranks of the very people I object to, the ones who have so much to say but don't actually do anything! Yes I have a rant at WDC and the councillors who I believe have let Bedlington down badly, but to give them their due at least they have the maracas to stand up and put their name on the dotted line and that cannot be easy especially when a few have had windows put out on their houses for being councillors! So I respect them for doing the job but I don't regard some of their decisions as sane, never mind anything else!

Mr Darn,

"This is the problem, many people go for it, only to find once they are in the position they thought they needed to be in to change things, they find either the position is not high enough or the funds just ain't there."

At least we are discussing a subject which is regarded as insignificant by many but which in reality touches everyone in the town. From kids going to school to old people's homes, and most things in-between, it is the political arena where the strings are pulled and decisions which effect us all are made Yes, people with the best will in the world get elected only to find that once they understand the system and become part of it, realise they cannot just have their particular pet project pushed to the fore, and a myriad of other things have to be assessed first. My main gripe here is that party politics get in the way and things are considered for political expediency and not on their merit. Yes WDC has been a whipping post for the people of Bedlington for a very long time, but in my opinion so richly deserved! As for the community centre and gold club, for hells sake put the sales off, even for 6-9 months, just so you can see the way the land lies or once again we might see Bedlington local assets sold and the money disappear into the coffers of a different authority! (I bet the money councillor Devon (Leader of WDC) was in the press recently saying was coming to Bedders get's sidetracked, and I know people that are trying their best to ring fence it!)

Pete,

"Why can't we have a common sense party and not a collection of MP's that are cleaver talkers but do nothing except listen to the minority."

Cannot do a "common sense party" because political dogma gets in the way. If an idea emanates from the opposition party say, then it is dismissed however much sense it makes. That is a real problem because as far as I can see if an idea makes sense, it makes sense and only fools would dismiss it! The minority get their way because they are usually vocal and active and in the present political structure that will always get points. Unless and until we debate things through thoroughly as a society we cannot hope to reach truly democratic decisions.

Mr Darn,

" the front street? why would anyone pay more for a small buisnesses product when they can get it cheeper?"

It isn't as simple as that. First you have to decide if you want a commercial heart to the town and if you do then paying a penny or two more for locally available goods is the price you have to pay (given the parameters of your quote). I don't necessarily believe everything has to be dearer as you should only compare like for like and when that is done extra things come into the equation, like transport and ease of collection etc. For my money I always thought the future of small retail outlets in small towns would be in niche markets and bringing them together in pleasant surroundings so the customers of one become the passing trade of others.

"seriously tho, this is just the place for just such a debate, and its being wasted!"

No it isn't, it might be better supported with more contributors but it is a start. You are talking about a subject which is supposed to be stale and people ambivalent about, yet here we have several contributors expressing their views adroitly, and obviously strongly held views, even monsta!

The usual disclaimers apply!

Thats what i ment by it being wasted.

Many people out there with views dont know about this place, and when they get here all they see is a bunch of posts with no real views attached (save for a few posts) filled with back biting and stupid remarks, even tho theres a place for that within this very website!

its the same whereever you go tho, you have some that want to do good and others that just want to cause disruption!

Of course, i'll always give my opinion on any issues that are brought up, but my opinion is each seperate item needs a seperate thread, or else were just all gonna get confused!

Many people out there with views dont know about this place, and when they get here all they see is a bunch of posts with no real views attached (save for a few posts) filled with back biting and stupid remarks, even tho theres a place for that within this very website!

its the same whereever you go tho, you have some that want to do good and others that just want to cause disruption!

Of course, i'll always give my opinion on any issues that are brought up, but my opinion is each seperate item needs a seperate thread, or else were just all gonna get confused!

i but we don't want your rules back it gets mind boggling and fustrating! closing topics cause there 10 days old! and chopping up topics! :lol::lol::lol:

i but we don't want your rules back it gets mind boggling and fustrating! closing topics cause there 10 days old! and chopping up topics! :lol::lol::lol:

just as well they wont be back then aint it!

fair enough about closing topics, but the topics got chopped cos people like you kept going this far off topic!

Everyone goes off topic, it's what happens on forums... just because discussions go off topic doesn't mean people will stop posting all together.

If anyones got anything to say, the will say it regardless.

just as well they wont be back then aint it!

fair enough about closing topics, but the topics got chopped cos people like you kept going this far off topic!

hypocrit what you doing know? going of topic!

thats exactly my point! in my time, this would have been cut out of the topic and continued in chat, just so the opinions stayed on the forum, and the topic stayed clean!

Trolling is so childish!

and so are your rules!

Lock them before anyone can reply!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now