Netherton Store

• 2 weeks later...
i live in the storehouse at netherton. does anyone have any old pictures of my house. it used to be the co-op before it was burned down and i live in the half that survived the fire.

maureen

I have been asking about for you, and the main responce to my question is 'netherton village or netherton, bedlington?'

Not sure where you mean myself, so could you clarify?

I have been asking about for you, and the main responce to my question is 'netherton village or netherton, bedlington?'

It`s Nedderton Village ain`t it? So i think it must be Netherton Colliery way..

i live in the storehouse at netherton. does anyone have any old pictures of my house. it used to be the co-op before it was burned down and i live in the half that survived the fire.

maureen

There was rats, rats, as big as bloomin' cats....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Excellent pic Carole, thanks for sharing.

Just seen your pics in the gallery jojo - i noticed the steppy stones havent changed at all! The same ones are still cracked and fallen to pieces, even after all these years they havent changed!

Excellent pic Carole, thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the kind message Jojo. Other people obviously know how to get their photos into their message but I couldn't see how to do it properly. Anyway, I hope Maureen finds it because I'm pretty sure it's what she's looking for.

Thanks for the kind message Jojo. Other people obviously know how to get their photos into their message but I couldn't see how to do it properly. Anyway, I hope Maureen finds it because I'm pretty sure it's what she's looking for.

I use Photobucket.com to upload my photos then just copy the link of your photo and paste it into the "insert image" box above..

You've got 10MB of upload space here.

If you need more simply PM. Some members already have 50MB or more.

The attachments box is below the posting window, it tells you there how much space you have left. If there are problems then I need to know.

If you need examples on how to do anything there's also [bB Code Help] button just below the posting window to the right. How to do most things in a post is pretty well illustrated there.

You've got 10MB of upload space here.

If you need more simply PM. Some members already have 50MB or more.

The attachments box is below the posting window, it tells you there how much space you have left. If there are problems then I need to know.

If you need examples on how to do anything there's also [bB Code Help] button just below the posting window to the right. How to do most things in a post is pretty well illustrated there.

Thanks Threegee. I'm just beginning to work out how to use the website. I've got a few old photos of people at Netherton which I will upload.

Thanks Threegee. I'm just beginning to work out how to use the website. I've got a few old photos of people at Netherton which I will upload.

You've really got to spend some time playing to see how it works. But there's no worry about messing-up as you can re-edit as many times as you can be bothered.

If you have tried and still have a problem PM me by clicking my name on one of my posts and selecting Send Message. Doing this for any user brings up the PM system in your own control panel with the person's name you want to contact already filled.

hi carole, I got the pic eventually. It is absolutely amazing. The old house hasnt changed much.....the black bits have been cleaned off and some new windows put in but otherwise it looks pretty much the same.

We have been trying since 1999 to get a pic of our house and i think you must have the only one in existance. so well done and thanks ever so much. Isnt it a shame that it was ever pulled down. I'd have had lots of fun restoring it to its former glory had it been left intact. The council, in their wisdom, wont let me replace the building. Such a shame that such a part of bedlington#s history is gone forever.

Anyway, thanks so very much. It means a lot to me and I'll stand you a pint if we ever run into you.

any more pics anyone has would be gratefully appreciated.

maureen and keith

Thanks mr darn. you are very kind. . you will, by now know, its netherton colliery, which is just beside nedderton. keep on asking. anything would be apreciated but caroles might be hard to beat.

hi carole, I got the pic eventually. It is absolutely amazing. The old house hasnt changed much.....the black bits have been cleaned off and some new windows put in but otherwise it looks pretty much the same.

We have been trying since 1999 to get a pic of our house and i think you must have the only one in existance. so well done and thanks ever so much. Isnt it a shame that it was ever pulled down. I'd have had lots of fun restoring it to its former glory had it been left intact. The council, in their wisdom, wont let me replace the building. Such a shame that such a part of bedlington#s history is gone forever.

Anyway, thanks so very much. It means a lot to me and I'll stand you a pint if we ever run into you.

any more pics anyone has would be gratefully appreciated.

maureen and keith

Hi Maureen,

I found your personal message first so I think you should have my message and email by now. I'm so pleased that I happened to have a photo that really means a lot to you. I inherited all my family photos from my Dad last year and I have been gradually going through them and scanning selected ones. When I came across my Mum's slide of the old Co-op at Netherton I admit that at first I wondered why on earth she had photographed a burned out building. Just as well that she did. I think you may well be right that it's the only photo in existence of the old Co-op.

I agree that it's a shame that the old Co-op building was pulled down. The whole building would have made a fantastic house, and it would have been a real labour of love to restore it. From the photo it looks as if it could have been saved, but I suppose it didn't make financial sense at the time. At least they kept part which had been the Manager's house so the memory of what used to be there hasn't completely gone. I feel quite choked that virtually all trace of the colliery and colliery housing has gone, as if all that history has been wiped away. Maybe people who had to work at the colliery wouldn't feel the same, I don't know.

I'm glad to have received your email address so that I could send you the other aerial photo which I don't think I should put up on the website - copyright, and all that.

I'd take you up on your offer of a drink (and buy you one in return) but I now live at the other end of the country and I don't get back to the North East very often. My last visits to Netherton were to my great aunt who spent the last few years of her life at Howard House when it was a Care Home. She died in 1999 and I haven't been to Netherton since then. Before she moved into Howard House she lived at Nedderton, opposite the old school. I used to get up to see her as often as I could, and take her out. After a trip out she always wanted to end up at the Shangri-La cafe at Bedlington.

If I turn up any more photos I'll make sure that I get them to you.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now