Olympic Games 2016

Canny lass

At last, the great day is about to dawn - opening ceremony tomorrow!  Has everybody stocked up with beer, crisps, pop-corn and the likes? Everybody got their ring-side seats booked in front of the telly?

I’m not so sure that Svea has a terribly strong line-up this time round but my money’s on swimming and hurdles. Women’s football squad is looking good too. One or two names to watch out for are:

Sara Sjöström, freestyle and butterfly

Susanna Kallur, 100m hurdles

Michel Tornéus, long jump - could be a bit of a dark horse (no pun intended)

And, I’d love to see Therese Alshammar on the prize podium this time around. She’s got a few years behind her now but I think she just gets stronger and stronger. It’s her 6th Olympics and it might be our last chance to see her in action at this level. Go for it girl!

What are the hopes and dreams of the British team?

Can Great Britain beat 2012 -  finished third in the medals table at the London 2012 Olympic Games, winning 29 golds and making 65 trips to the podium in total.

That could be a tough tally to match at this summer's Games in Rio without a home crowd to spur them on, but there is still plenty of potential for success.

Last month the target medal range for the team heading out to Rio was set between 47 and 79 based on performance data and analysis.

(not my info, extract from SKY news)

Never been unable to understand the point of the opening ceremony, of any event. Just a waste of money in my book.

I will be watching loads. Especially track & field events where you can see the drive, determination, pain etc. in the face of the athletes. Swimming, diving, weightlifting, horse dressage, I will quite happily see if we win anything but wont be watching the competition.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Canny lass said:

Sara Sjöström, freestyle and butterfly - up against England's Siobhan-Marie O'Connor = Sweden 1 - 0

Susanna Kallur, 100m hurdles - up against England's Tiffany PORTER = Sweden 1 - 1

Michel Tornéus, long jump - could be a bit of a dark horse (no pun intended) - up against England's Greg RUTHERFORD = Sweden 1 - 2

Your names to watch out for, 3 and it used to be only 1, Lasse Viren. Has Sweden had an increase of hemoglobin donations? 

We will be watching quite a lot of the games as the time zone is closer to ours at last. We got off to a good start yesterday Canada ladies beat Brian’s Australian ladies soccer team! the coach is John Herdman from Consett.

There is a lot of negative press with the Zika virus and water conditions, I can't believe they are allowing the water sports to go on, disgusting!

Other than Curling and Ice hockey we don’t have a lot of top athletes, only “rivals” are the USA so we spread our loyalties over UK, Australia and Canada, Canada hope to be in the top 12 in medals.

5 hours ago, Canny lass said:

Haemoglobin? Sh!

Wasn't Virén Finnish?

He was, my mistake. My excuse -  I was tired after an afternoon of Guiness + mince & dumplings and didn't check what I was typing.

Haemoglobin - Irish Times on Lasse Viren :- ..........essentially, the athlete has a quart or more of blood extracted before a major competition. This blood is frozen, while the athlete keeps training to rebuild the blood to its normal level. Then just prior to racing, red cells from the extracted blood are transfused back into the athlete, instantly increasing the body's haemoglobin level and oxygen-carrying abilities. In other words, instantly boosting endurance............... 

12 hours ago, Eggy1948 said:

He was, my mistake. My excuse -  I was tired after an afternoon of Guiness + mince & dumplings and didn't check what I was typing.

Haemoglobin - Irish Times on Lasse Viren :- ..........essentially, the athlete has a quart or more of blood extracted before a major competition. This blood is frozen, while the athlete keeps training to rebuild the blood to its normal level. Then just prior to racing, red cells from the extracted blood are transfused back into the athlete, instantly increasing the body's haemoglobin level and oxygen-carrying abilities. In other words, instantly boosting endurance............... 

You're forgiven, but only cos you had such a good excuse!

Please I missed the Olympic opening ceremony and watched the opening of the 2016-17 English Football league show!

NUFC team will never be charged for taking performance enhancing drugs but they might be held up on being dope-s.

At least for 7 days now I can watch some athletes giving their best.

Edited by Eggy1948
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Canny lass said:

Sjöström, 55.84, 100m fly - new olympic record in the semis. Whoopee!!!!!

Don't anybody dare to tell me the results of tomorrow's final before I've had a chance to see it.

Snap :- 

Great Britain's Adam Peaty qualified easily for Sunday's 100m breaststroke final having earlier broken his own world record.

The 21-year-old qualified fastest in 57.62 seconds as he aims to become the first British male to win an individual Olympic swimming gold since 1988.

On ‎09‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 11:02, Canny lass said:

What's not to like about the Olympics - apart from the opening and closing ceremonies, but they have to get money to pay for it somewhere?

the doping, the sponsorship - and can anyone explain what Andy Murray is doing there??? amateur? he even listed himself as professional tennis player

• 2 weeks later...

Thank heavens it's over. The garden is overgrown with weeds. I might get some work done now.

Good while it lasted though. Very proud of Sjöström's gold, silver and bronze. Clearly a woman after my own heart who knows the importance of having accessories to match every outfit. And didn't the women's football team do well with a silver!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now