The Arcade

pilgrim - this could get complicate with loads of messages back and forth. You might even get Brian Cross, off this site, joining in - his cousin, Albert, that lived in the Bank Top pub married Fenwick's daughter Brenda (2nd marriage for both of them).

I will send you a Message and see if I can get you a link (Facebook?) that MAY get you some answers, from the family.   

There's another Fenwick Redpath, born 1886. Father, Hugh Redpath, mother Margaret (born Chorley , Lancs). Living at Choppington New pit in 1901. Fenwick had, at that time, 5 brothers and sisters: John, William, Elizabeth, Hugh and Frederick. Could that be the Fenwick you are looking for?

Eggy,Bob Redpath,[Brian's cousin] lived doon the bottom end of Hollymount Square,beside the "Cut" that led ti Cornwall Crescent,and the roads Beattie,and Haig.

Vic,Bob was just three or four doors alang from Maureen,[Doreen's Friend].[probably aroond number 51-ish,as Eggy said..]

Brian passed away a few years ago,and I never knew till recently,he was a big lad at five years aad![stands above everybody on the infants pic.]

His Dad had the first Radiogram I ever saw,and it was when "All Shook Up" by Elvis,was in the charts,and Brian's Dad had just bought it.

Brian took me in to hear it,and I was hooked on Elvis from that day![aroond 1956-7 ish?]...I was 12 or 13 years old.

I can still picture the radiogram,like dark walnut veneered,and aboot twenty feet lang.....ti me,as a kid!![aboot 5feet in reality!]

I think,[think....mind!!],he probably worked at the Doctor Pit,Vic,can Doreen not mind?,cos her Dad worked there as did most of our side of the square,and the other side of the square were mostly from Netherton pit village.

Both Brian,and Bob's Dad's were nice quiet fellas.

Canny Lass - we have nicked your topic - I take it you are now finished with 'The Arcade'

pilgrim - have you ever used FreeBMD for basic genealogy searches? Unlike the multi functionsl sites - Ancestry -  Find my Past etc. FreeBMD is free but it only does links to the registration quarters  of a Birth, Marriage or Death. If you want info off the registered even you have to cough up the money (£9.50 that last time I used it) for the relevant certificate the you BELIEVE to be the person you are after.

A simple Birth search for Redpath - Fenwick - Date Range Mar 1880 - Dec 1925 (registrations are divided into 4 quarters for each year (March - June - September & December) would return you :-   

Surname              First name(s)                     District Vol         Page

_______Births Sep 1885   (>99%)

Redpath               Fenwick                              Morpeth 10b    343

______Births Mar 1904   (>99%)

REDPATH             Fenwick                              Morpeth 10b    473

Surname              First name(s)     Mother                District Vol         Page

______Births Sep 1913   (>99%)

Redpath               Fenwick A          Turner       Morpeth 10b              853

_____Births Sep 1920   (>99%)

Redpath               Fenwick              Dixon        Morpeth 10b               890

Using the returned data you can request, for the fee, the actual certificate but you can't see it prior to ordering. You have to wait until it is delivered to see if you got the right one!

I have never used the other sites so don't know what you can see before paying for certificates.

Hollymount Square - Google street view 2009 :- 

Hollymount Sq.jpg

oops - sorry for wandering off thread- my apologies but it seems to have raised some interest and I am much obliged for the information. (and we might all be related)

I will endeavour to do some more research when I have the time.

I have used some other sites researching a local lad who won a VC at Rourkes Drift - he was unknown up here !!! and managed to obtain his record of baptism and marriage ect.. and death certificate, but that was via a historian in London who had accrued them researching for a book on an entirely different topic.

I may have  a trip down to Woodhorn when I get time to have a look at the church records.

where was Choppington new pit? any ideas?

I think I recall that radiogram -- as you say the length of the Titanic and had lift up lids for the diff bits - nicotine coloured radio dials and stations like Hilversund .....oh and big brown Bakelite knobs.

On 12/2/2016 at 22:28, pilgrim said:

where was Choppington new pit? any ideas?

Only ever seen the one pit - Choppington Colliery 'A Pit' - on all the old maps online = 1858 - 1947.

The Durham Mining Museum site just has one entry (that I can find) for Choppington :-  http://www.dmm.org.uk/colliery/index_c.htm

Choppington pit.jpg

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now