WTTC Broadband in Nthlnd

Brett

Homes and businesses in the remote rural Northumberland (England) village of Coanwood, which is home to around 200 people, have become the latest to benefit from BT’s hybrid Microwave (radio) and VDSL based ‘up to’ 80Mbps Wireless-to-the-Cabinet(WTTC) broadband technology.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/05/northumberland-village-gets-80mbps-wireless-cabinet-broadband.html

• Like 2

Not sure how they'll cope in poor weather but definitely a sensible way of enabling rural areas to have faster connections. 

It still bemuses me that we are building housing estates without FTTP as standard. 

Lad I work with had just bought a brand new house in Blyth, so new they're still building others around him and he got no more than 2MB LLU. 

It's definitely one of the things that people take into account now when deciding on residency and I have a reliance for work so living in the arse end of nowhere is alot more difficult she  you need a connection for work. 

• 1 year later...

With regard to wireless broadband serving a remote community, I'd just like to say that we have a static caravan on a fairly local coastal site that is covered by BT Wifinity broadband. I can use pc, phone or tablet in my caravan and can easily stream movies via an Amazon Firestick plugged in the back of the tv. 

With regard to home broadband, I suffered a good few years with a 1.4Mbs connection (Stakeford, from the dreaded Ashington exchange) and, even after supposedly upgrading to fibre, the 5Mbps connection I was given  soon dropped back down to 1.4Mbps again. 

However, a couple of months ago, after contacting my provider (EE) and being told it was out of their hands, I contacted a very helpful bloke at NCC who told me, very revealingly that, although Openreach had been paid to supply superfast broadband to our cabinet, in some cases they hadn't made the required connections! 

Now sorted and, after contacting EE again, I now have 50Mbps (at the router) Fibre+ broadband. YAAAAY!!! 

The moral is: don't believe everything you are told in the broadband world! 

Edited by webtrekker
  • Like 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now