Got Windows 10 yet? Are you sure?

Brett

There are around two months left to upgrade to Windows 10 for free, and Microsoft is determined to get as many people using its new operating system as possible.

As previously announced, the company is now making Windows 10 a ‘recommended’ update but if you see a box popping up reminding you to upgrade, think again before click the red ‘X’ box in the hope of rejecting it.

Usually when you click the top right red ‘X’ icon in a window you’d expect it to shut. But in the new Windows 10 update process, clicking the ‘X’ actually lets the upgrade to go ahead.

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/tech-news/dont-click-the-x-microsoft-rolls-out-new-windows-10-upgrade-prompt-that-may-catch-you-out-11364064198485

I'm running a combination of Windows 7, Windows 10, Debian at home and just about to move to Windows 10 enterprise at work and we seem to be upscaling the use of Windows OS as work phones replacing the ancient blackberries.

I do miss XP!! (although I recall the days of DOS - don't let them fool you - its all still DOS under there!)

the old pc failed and so got a new one with that appalling vista thing on it so bit the bullet and loaded the 'new' 10 - the one with a proper start menu. all was fine until for some reason one of the user accounts decided that it would not display the tiles from the blue windows logo and completely lost edge ??? so now back to IE version whatever and have a user account that runs very slowly in accessing  programmes from the start menu of windows but not from the sensible way of starting them - all other accounts are fine -since when did they become APPS???????????

Nowt wrang wi' Vista! ................................... once you've disable UAC!

Both my Vista machines have been running fine for years now. They run everything I need, including the hardwareI use in my 'day' job (making stuff for ebay), a wide format printer and a drag-knife cutter.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pilgrim said:

I do miss XP!! (although I recall the days of DOS - don't let them fool you - its all still DOS under there!)

the old pc failed and so got a new one with that appalling vista thing on it so bit the bullet and loaded the 'new' 10 - the one with a proper start menu. all was fine until for some reason one of the user accounts decided that it would not display the tiles from the blue windows logo and completely lost edge ??? so now back to IE version whatever and have a user account that runs very slowly in accessing  programmes from the start menu of windows but not from the sensible way of starting them - all other accounts are fine -since when did they become APPS???????????

If I were you I'd do a clean install on 10 as upgrading may have borked something.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now