Scraping the Bottom of the Porridge Bowl!

You remember EUphile Vince Cable? Well, he's involved in the "Remain" campaign (what else!), and has just visited a porridge manufacturer on behalf of Desperate Dave.  Here he warned of the disastrous consequences of Brexit on the - yes, you guessed it - UK Porridge Industry!

The narrative is that this firm has found it easier to export porridge to Holland than to Australia!  I offer this simple map for Vince's edification, to illustrate exactly why this could be the case, especially on a bulky low value item like porridge.

data=RfCSdfNZ0LFPrHSm0ublXdzhdrDFhtmHhN1

I'd also hazard the input that there could be some upside in getting to grips with the Australian market, not the least of which would be tweaking the existing UK packaging rather than producing 27 different sets of packaging in languages they don't comprehend. Or worse - risking running fowl of hostile administrations like France, where if you put the accent in the wrong place they might consign your entire shipment for destruction.

I can also advise Vince that porridge is an extremely hard sell in most of continental Europe, and that EuroBrits like me buy it on the internet, so the "mealsley" ex-pat-driven  EU market is already pretty well catered for.  I suspect that the small porridge manufacturer he's using as a platform for his scaremongering already knows this but doesn't want to spoil Vince's day.

It appears that Aussies do like their oats though, so come Brexit this UK porrie maker had better shape up and look global, or we'll be eating Yummy Ozz-Oats from farmers who still know how to farm crops and not taxpayer subsidies!  So.. chalk-up cheaper better quality porridge as one of the endless advantages to Brexit! ;)

• Like 1

No wonder they are gunning for the SME's. It's definitely in the best interests of almost any SME to support Brexit. The sheer weight of ridiculous EU regulations are not only killing existing SME's, but are discouraging many from even starting up in the first place. Large corporations, on the other hand, are laughing all the way to the bank, knowing that their smaller competitors are being annihilated in this way.

Edited by webtrekker
typo :D

I was tempted to add a reference to Genesis 25:31 for Vince's consumption!  Having just devoured my own (self-imported) porridge, and read some of the morning Camscares it seems quite appropriate. :D

Because of what you say Malc a lot of economic activity is "off the books", so people have learned to get by.  I suspect things are even more so in Greece - if that were possible!  This is very bad for employment, and is no incentive to improve productivity or invest lest you attract unwanted attention.  It's probably part of the explanation of the much vaunted "superior German productivity".

Ed Balls and Vince Cable? Osborne must be desperate!

Their ideas and  policies have been  rejected by the majority of the population.

Yet, there they stand failed politicians backing the  gravy train for failed politicians

And guess who has been showing adverts for the out campaign on its overseas website 

http://heatst.com/uk/bbc-brexit-scandal-impartial-bbc-displays-stronger-in-advertising/

Ads ran  in error of course ^_^

Edited by moe19

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now