St Cuthberts School

I seen the sign on the old school and  also noticed a new to let sign this morning on the old market place coop store..

Also two new bus stops on the old pit road (cant remember or spell what its German name now is ).

And the old day centre that was to be demolished to build a store  has had workmen this week boarding up all the doors and windows so it does not look like any building  is going to start  in the next few weeks .

1. Then & Proposed - this is the old school photos plus the previous architects - Nicholson Nairn - computer generated image of what the old school would be converted into :-

2. Now & Proposed - Lidl image of the store that will replace the Day Center

The Old School proposal.jpg

Now & Proposed Lidl.jpg

I cant understand how permission to fell the  giant weeping willow was ever allowed, but most of all I can not believe how planning was ever granted to build such a monstrosity in a historic town like Bedlington, Carbuncles and landscapes come to mind.:( 

Here we go again Brian, started with the Ols School but now ARCH - LIDL & Weeping Willow!

Moe19 - I would expect most locals would welcome any supermarket in the town, away from the conservation area. Local weekly food shopping to compete with Blyth; Ashington; Morpeth etc. etc. and the possibility of jobs, albeit probably part-time, for locals.

If I still lived in Bedlington I would have no objection to the one Weeping Willow tree been removed for the sake of employment in the town. All planning etc (no idea what the correct terminology is, never been involved with this before) is complete :-

Planning » Application Summary

15/03266/FUL | Proposed demolition of the existing adult day care centre (Class D1) and erection of a Lidl foodstore (Class A1) with associated works. | Northumberland County Council Bedlington Day Centre Bedlington Northumberland NE22 5UQ

Details - Comments (14) - Constraints (14) - Documents (62) - Related Cases (2) 

Reference15/03266/FUL - Application ReceivedThu 01 Oct 2015 - Application ValidatedThu 01 Oct 2015

Northumberland County Council Bedlington Day Centre Bedlington Northumberland NE22 5UQ

Proposed demolition of the existing adult day care centre (Class D1) and erection of a Lidl foodstore (Class A1) with associated works.

StatusDecided - DecisionApplication Permitted - Decision Issued DateThu 07 Jan 2016 - Appeal StatusUnknown

This is the link to the planning application where you can download all the documents for reading with Adobe system :-

https://publicaccess.northumberland.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=NVHWM8QSL9I00

Since the members on the Bygone Bedlington Facebook site learned of the proposals for the Lidl supermarket that involved the uprooting of the weeping willow (with an offer to provide cuttings from the tree that any individuals or organisations, schools etc,) they started an online petition

https://www.change.org/p/nickaila-arnold-perennials-over-parking-save-bedlington-s-majestic-tree?recruiter=169073099&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink

to try and saved the tree and if you pass the tree now you should see some Yellow Ribbons tied to the tree and the story has been picked up by the Evening Chronicle but don't know what the result will be. The organiser of the online petition is in talks with the chronicle and they are arranging for a reporter to come and meet a number of those that have signed the petition. That MIGHT be happening next Tuesday, but don't know for sure.

Don't know a way of posting images within the written content of a posting so all the relevant images to follow :-

Could probably say a lot more but no time - bottle of Wychwood King Goblin and TV drama awaits me.

Day Centre c1960.jpg

Weeping Willow tree now.jpg

Yellow Ribbon.jpg

Trees to go.jpg

10 hours ago, Eggy1948 said:

Here we go again Brian, started with the Ols School but now ARCH - LIDL & Weeping Willow!

Dont forget planning applications and petitions and old day centre photos.

Pot and kettle come to mind.  

And as a local I am more than happy with Morrisons, it would be very sad to see so many jobs go if it is forced to close 

Edited by moe19

6 hours ago, moe19 said:

Dont forget planning applications and petitions and old day centre photos.

Pot and kettle come to mind.  

And as a local I am more than happy with Morrisons, it would be very sad to see so many jobs go if it is forced to close 

Not sure what you mean moe19 - I added a link to the planning and I posted photos.

17 hours ago, Eggy1948 said:

Since the members on the Bygone Bedlington Facebook site learned of the proposals for the Lidl supermarket that involved the uprooting of the weeping willow (with an offer to provide cuttings from the tree that any individuals or organisations, schools etc,) they started an online petition

https://www.change.org/p/nickaila-arnold-perennials-over-parking-save-bedlington-s-majestic-tree?recruiter=169073099&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink

to try and saved the tree and if you pass the tree now you should see some Yellow Ribbons tied to the tree and the story has been picked up by the Evening Chronicle but don't know what the result will be. The organiser of the online petition is in talks with the chronicle and they are arranging for a reporter to come and meet a number of those that have signed the petition. That MIGHT be happening next Tuesday, but don't know for sure.

Posted today on Bygone Bedlington by Nickaila Adele Arnold that raised the online petition :-

'Press photo meeting will be tomorrow (Tuesday) at 4pm. Meet at the Willow Tree. See you all then ☺ xxx'

It's just a tree are they going to chain themselves to it when the demolition crew arrive am sure lidl will plant another one to replace it. 

Why don't people care so much about the state of the free woods it's a tip 

20160416_153445.jpg

1 hour ago, Monsta® said:

It's just a tree are they going to chain themselves to it when the demolition crew arrive am sure lidl will plant another one to replace it. 

Why don't people care so much about the state of the free woods it's a tip 

20160416_153445.jpg

No they won't because there is no available sites on their plans. However I agree with you about the woods, in fact, all of our woods are becoming tips.

Monsta, if Lidl will plant another to replace it, why not keep the existing one? That would be a much bigger PR coup for them. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mercuryg said:

Monsta, if Lidl will plant another to replace it, why not keep the existing one? That would be a much bigger PR coup for them. 

mercuryg - the campaigners are waiting for a response from the email that was sent to Lidl on the subject of this tree.

Some extracts from the Bygone Bedlington postings :-

............. Ian Lavery (MP) is going to discus this with the council.

Dean Jackson, (Town Champion) is putting it onto the agenda of the next steering group meeting.

........and I have had an answer back from Lidl . It only say's it will be passed onto the relevant department but at least we haven't been ignored.

This really should have all been done before planning permission was given but while it still stands there is still a little hope.

At least two people did put objections into the council before planning permission was given.

At least important people are talking about it.

Cllr Wallace has emailed, and received a reply from the NCC Planning Office 

Although there is another Weeping Willow tree outside the Library they are still fighting to save the one on the Lidl site.

email.jpg

The Other WW.jpg

12 hours ago, mercuryg said:

Eh..... Let's think maybe it's in the road and they'd have to spend thousands drawing up New plans 

Eggy wrote: "mercuryg - the campaigners are waiting for a response from the email that was sent to Lidl on the subject of this tree."

Thanks, I am aware of this, I am one of them! I wrote the press release for the Chronicle, An email has been sent to Lidl MD too. Nice picture of 'the other' Willo.

"Eh..... Let's think maybe it's in the road and they'd have to spend thousands drawing up New plans."

No, it's not; it's in the car park area. I believe the problem will be a barrier to the root system. I'm not holding my breath on this - I don't think Lidl will back down - but  we can but try!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now