'It’s always been done that way...’

webtrekker

Just an amusing thought ...

The Famous Social Experiment: 5 Monkeys and a Ladder

A group of scientists placed five monkeys in a cage, and in the middle, a ladder with bananas on top.

Every time a monkey went up the ladder, the scientists soaked the rest of the monkeys with cold water.

After a while, every time a monkey would start up the ladder, the others would pull it down and beat it up.

After a time, no monkey would dare try climbing the ladder, no matter how great the temptation.

The scientists then decided to replace one of the monkeys. The first thing this new monkey did was start to climb the ladder. Immediately, the others pulled him down and beat him up.

After several beatings, the new monkey learned never to go up the ladder, even though there was no evident reason not to, aside from the beatings.

The second monkey was substituted and the same occurred. The first monkey participated in the beating of the second monkey. A third monkey was changed and the same was repeated. The fourth monkey was changed, resulting in the same, before the fifth was finally replaced as well.

What was left was a group of five monkeys that – without ever having received a cold shower – continued to beat up any monkey who attempted to climb the ladder.

If it was possible to ask the monkeys why they beat up on all those who attempted to climb the ladder, their most likely answer would be “I don’t know. It’s just how things are done around here.”

Does that sound at all familiar?

Jules Masserman did a similar experiment in the 60:s. Using chimps who had to pull a chain to recieve food, onlooking chimps got an Electric shock at the same time as the chain-pulling chimp got his food. The chimps starved themselves to near Death rather than let the other chimps get an Electric shock. A classic demonstration of empathi - putting themselves in other's shoes and making a compassionate decision.

• Like 1

It was the same in the 50's in wor hoose.

Experiment - Tried to get away with something and not get got clipped of me mam.

Method - do something I was told not to, get clipped.

Try a 2nd time - got another clip.

Decision time - try again and get another clip or try something else? Simple -  ask me big brothers, they would know what to do. They beat me up so I didn't try and get away with that again.

Conclusion - no matter what I tried I got caught out.

Eventually I learnt me lesson, 1993.  

2 hours ago, Maggie/915 said:

The monkeys could try distraction.

That is :- look or go over there then quickly get the bananas. Okay at first there is the cold water but 'if at first you don't suceed try try again '.

Get all the monkeys working out on the ladder together.

I thought it was intesting that WT mentioned this type of experiment as I'd only recently given Vic a clip (Lovely Word clip!), albeit totally undeserved, when I failed to see his subtle sarcasm. Masserman's observations are still used today in psychiatry as he was one of the first, and probably the most widely acknwledged, within the field of empathy research. Up until he started his research it was widely believed that empathy was the main distinguishing factor between animals and humans but his findings proved otherwise while at the same time giving a degree of support to the theory that humans have evolved from primates.

• Like 2

I'm sad to say your spot on there, Maggie. Psychopaths are known to show a callous lack of empathi. Psychopathy is, however, no longer classified as a mental illness and is not thought to be treatable because their  own emotionai coldness is even directed towards themselves, making any improvement in the condition impossible. It's a Life long condition. But I Believe one or two euphemistic names have crept into the language - ant-social personality disorder is one I've Heard a few times. What's that saying about a rose by any other name would smell as sweet?

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now