Viaduct Over River Blyth

There was an old wooden viaduct over the River Blyth.

I got these pics passed on said to be of the building of it.

But my instinct is this is the River Wansbeck ?

Anyone with ideas or knows.

Its an important part of our history, but it needs confiming.

This pic says viaduct over River Blyth, looking south

post-1337-0-85802500-1356902470_thumb.jp

That actually looks like the site of the 'Black Bridge'. If you look above the bridge mid-top you will see a building that looks like the Bank Top at the top of the Furnace Bank.

PS - check out this site - bridgesonthetyne.co.uk.

Cant be the Bank Top 'cos the camera is pointing the wrong way, as it is pointing south across the bridge / river. To get the Bank Top the photographer would have to turn to his right. (90 deg). ..... ha !!! stick that in ya pipe and smoke it !!!!!

I can remember the Costain bridge that took the railway from the opencast across the river and Atlee bank, but that is definately not it. I would have to agree with John as it seems more likely to be over the wansbeck

Edited by keith

No no no! The thread is about a bridge. Merc mentions it reminds him of another film - then Malcolm says Sir Alec.

Now then, let's look at the evidence - Bridge, Film, Sir Alec....are you following me on this...ends with River Kwai!!

So that's how I got to Guinness...and not the black stuff with a frothy top. So you lot think I resemble a Tory PM. Where's the sharp knife, has anybody got a length of rope. Mind you, I normally get Jasper Carrott. But don't tell anybody.

Keith wrote: "I can remember the Costain bridge that took the railway from the opencast across the river and Atlee bank ...."

Keith, I always thought that was the Euclid's bridge - part of Costain's road system so the Euclids* could take their loads down to Bebside railyard ... I can't remember there ever being a railway line over the bridge. The bridge was a 'classic' Bailey construction. There's an earlier post on this topic to search for.

That timber construction in the photo looks more like staiths to me but closer inspection at the base of the staiths shows new concrete pads being made ... I wonder what these were for?

* For our younger viewers a Euclid is (was) a monster earth carrying lorry with enormous wheels (Google for pics)

Edited by Symptoms

Keith wrote: "I can remember the Costain bridge that took the railway from the opencast across the river and Atlee bank ...."

Keith, I always thought that was the Euclid's bridge - part of Costain's road system so the Euclids* could take their loads down to Bebside railyard ... I can't remember there ever being a railway line over the bridge. The bridge was a 'classic' Bailey construction. There's an earlier post on this topic to search for.

That timber construction in the photo looks more like staiths to me but closer inspection at the base of the staiths shows new concrete pads being made ... I wonder what these were for?

* For our younger viewers a Euclid is (was) a monster earth carrying lorry with enormous wheels (Google for pics)

Symptoms, you're absolutely right. Why on earth did I think it carried a railway line. I can remember watching the Euclids going back and forth when I was a sproglodite.

Well then, it wasn't staiths. If that's Blyth powerstation in the distance (did it ever only have one smoking stack?) then it has to be the Wansbeck. Also, my memory of the Blyth valley was that it had steeper banks - those in that second pic look quite shallow.

Yes i got a gut feeling your right there on the nail.

I was wondering about that chimney too ?

We can leave this open for a little longer but i think your spot on Keith.

Heres the other pics to continue the debate

post-1337-0-32340300-1356973708_thumb.jp

post-1337-0-99783200-1356973725_thumb.jp

Well then, it wasn't staiths. If that's Blyth powerstation in the distance (did it ever only have one smoking stack?) then it has to be the Wansbeck. Also, my memory of the Blyth valley was that it had steeper banks - those in that second pic look quite shallow.

If that is on the river Blyth looking south, the photographer would be standing on the downstream side of the bridge, on the Bedlington side. So that would rule the power station out because that chimney would possibly be towards Cramlington.

Similarly if it was the Wansbeck, the photographer would be downstream side of the bridge on the Ashington side and that chimney would be off towards (Morpeth) ?

If that is on the river Blyth looking south, the photographer would be standing on the downstream side of the bridge, on the Bedlington side. So that would rule the power station out because that chimney would possibly be towards Cramlington.

Similarly if it was the Wansbeck, the photographer would be downstream side of the bridge on the Ashington side and that chimney would be off towards (Morpeth) ?

Yes i agree with you Keith. Thank you.

Take a look at the red circled bridge concrete 'ends' on these two photos. They are of North Seaton Bridge. The 'Ends' are similar. I honestly think they are the North Seaton Black Bridge Viaduct.

post-2953-0-75103700-1356977092_thumb.jppost-2953-0-54467300-1356977098_thumb.jp

You have to really zoom in on the second one.

Edited by keith lockey

You might just have it sunshine !. If you look at the old pic on the left at far end of bridge. That could be what becomes Wansbeck Tce, that runs from the signal box to the Foresters. In the new pic the the photographer was standing below the allotments behind Wansbeck Tce on the riverside path.

Edited by keith

You might just have it sunshine !. If you look at the old pic on the left at far end of bridge. That could be what becomes Wansbeck Tce, that runs from the signal box to the Foresters. In the new pic the the photographer was standing below the allotments behind Wansbeck Tce on the riverside path.

You see, not just a pretty face. The proof would be to take a close up of the north seaton concrete bridge ends and see if they match the photos. (Of course they could have been changed!)

You see, not just a pretty face. The proof would be to take a close up of the north seaton concrete bridge ends and see if they match the photos. (Of course they could have been changed!)

Look to be stone to me Keith in the older photo, so they may have been replaced with concrete later on.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now