Pubs Changing Names

Wilson

Can anyone tell me when the King's Arms became The Grapes; The Howard changed to The Neuk then The Market Tavern and when The Dun Cow changed to The Millfied and back to the Dun Cow the first time or could be several times! I have a feeling there was another name in there too.

Thanks

Wilson

Can anyone tell me when the King's Arms became The Grapes; The Howard changed to The Neuk then The Market Tavern and when The Dun Cow changed to The Millfied and back to the Dun Cow the first time or could be several times! I have a feeling there was another name in there too.

Thanks

Wilson

They have had more changes than Danny La Rue !!, Wilson. The Millfield also has the name Sebastians [i think ] and it was connexions once. Kings has been the Grapes for some time. The Neuk was the area [some houses were there ] in the corner below Peter Bacci's shop, they must have named the pub after that, Market Tavern for obvious reasons. By the time you read this , one of them may have changed again.

Edited by keith

Thank you Keith, Connexions was the name I was thinking of but can't remember Sebastians how long ago was that? I have a feeling the Howard was renamed The Neuk in the 70s when Bower's houses were still there. That area of the Market Place was orignally called Muggers Neuk (Nook) in the 19th Century. Rosella Place was behind Bacci's and I think it was pulled down in the late 70's. Still remember the ice cream from Bacci's we were so lucky to grow up with real Italian ice cream.

Wilson

Thank you Keith, Connexions was the name I was thinking of but can't remember Sebastians how long ago was that? I have a feeling the Howard was renamed The Neuk in the 70s when Bower's houses were still there. That area of the Market Place was orignally called Muggers Neuk (Nook) in the 19th Century. Rosella Place was behind Bacci's and I think it was pulled down in the late 70's. Still remember the ice cream from Bacci's we were so lucky to grow up with real Italian ice cream.

Wilson

Was it as late as the late 70's ? when it was pulled down. I lived in the Market Place as a kid, moving to Waverley avenue about 1965/6 [ish] We lived at number 5, down the alley between Johnsons shoe shop and what was then Carricks the bakers, we knocked around with the kids that lived in Rosella place. Sebastians, just a couple of months or so.

Edited by keith

I have a desire to buy a pub simply so I could rename it 'The Otter and Parsnip', a name sadly lacking among the pantheon of traditional inns.

• 5 years later...
On 8/19/2011 at 11:36, mercuryg said:

I have a desire to buy a pub simply so I could rename it 'The Otter and Parsnip', a name sadly lacking among the pantheon of traditional inns.

Mercury - I think you should add the Bedlington Terrier to your pub name. So it would be the Terrier, Otter & Parsnip and it should be located at the T-O-P End.

TOP project (3).jpg

On 15/08/2011 at 10:21, Wilson said:

Thanks

Wilson

The Kings arms was always nicknamed the Grapes but the name was officially changed  after Fenwick Moscrop retired (to the golf club) the Kings was one of a number of pubs on the street that was refurbished ( around the same time as opening of original Dominicks bar) and its name was changed to the Grapes, by the new tenants who I believe would have been Jack and Lou Robson who used to be Managers of the Ridge Farm for Bass Charrington /Toby Inns. I would estimate it was around 1982 or 1983

The Howard changed its name when the Tenants known as the two Rays (two men both both called Ray)left it was given a refurbish by the new Tenant John, Rocky Thornton and its name changed to the Neuk, When Rocky gave up his tenancy  the pubs owners  ,Vaux breweries  closed down and the pub was sold to a leisure company called Access to Leisure  who had its offices next to the Black Bull ( was part of the Frazer brothers empire along with Onix construction  etc )  the pub was given a total makeover and the name changed to the Market Tavern, Access to Leisure also bought the Mill-field/ connections  (mill field  originally owned by footballer John Tudor) and refurbished it, and renamed it back to its original name of the Dun Cow ( The original Dun Cow was owned by Whitbread and the last manager would have been Jacky Saddler) 

Tommy Hennesey was at the helm when it was ran as connections (it also had a basement/cellar bar at that time ) 

Canny Lass may be able to give you the exact year Fenwick retired as her sister worked for Fenwick for many years      

Edited by moe19

not sure about the history - but I always knew it as the grapes... there are a few other pubs with the names 'grapes' and usually refers to Bacchus - eg Elson etc.

can anyone recall which bands used which pubs on picnic day? I seem to recall that each pub had its own following?? and it was quite close knit.

• 1 month later...

The Monkey (Barrington Arms) 

I attended first school with lad who's family ran the Barrington Arms back then.

I remember the teacher asking him if he had any idea why the pub was know as "The Monkey".

To the best of my recollection, he explained that inside there was a picture of a chimpanzee hung above a fireplace somewhere and that's why the locals began to refer to The Barrington Arms as The Monkey.

Yes, we know that the chimpanzee is actually a great ape, not a monkey, but that's how he explained it.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 15/08/2011 at 11:21, Wilson said:

Can anyone tell me when the King's Arms became The Grapes;

The Kings Arms is listed in the 1861 census as "Grapes Inn". Ten years later, in the 1871 cenus, the name is given as "Kings Arms", so Grapes hasn't always been a nickname.

• Like 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now