Will The New Tesco Ever Happen?

doglover

Why are we losing everything in Bedlington. Ive just been in Tescos tonight and I asked when the larger store was going to happen but the girl staff I spoke to couldn't tell me. She said apparently when the market place was finished they might consider it. Thats a laugh seeing it was supposed to start in the summer of this year. Another thinbg in Bedlngton that seems to be put on the back burner or lose.

Why are we losing everything in Bedlington. Ive just been in Tescos tonight and I asked when the larger store was going to happen but the girl staff I spoke to couldn't tell me. She said apparently when the market place was finished they might consider it. Thats a laugh seeing it was supposed to start in the summer of this year. Another thinbg in Bedlngton that seems to be put on the back burner or lose.

Welcome to Bedlington :( :(

Why are we losing everything in Bedlington. Ive just been in Tescos tonight and I asked when the larger store was going to happen but the girl staff I spoke to couldn't tell me.

I would imagine the store staff will be the last to find out as usual, with one possible exception ;)

Tesco plans have been deferred til January.

tesco closed 6 stores in that block and opened one inadequate tesco store.I'm sick of this town playing second fiddle to other towns. Newbiggin got a beach Ashington get a superstore, sports centre. Blyth get parks and play areas. Morpeth get MILLIONS spent on a shopping precinct. We get 2 million spent on some paving slabs. Although very pretty in does not detract from the fact that the surrounding buildings are crumbling as is our community. The population of Bedlington is huge and continues to grow, yet the council refuse to add to the amenities. Prefering to gloss over the cracks and hope we wont notice. Buildings are left derelict for years.While OUR council tax is spent elsewhere.

Couldn't agree more Wayne.

• 2 weeks later...

I would presume if they get the Planning Consent to build a superstore at Stobhill they won't go ahead with Bedlingto.. Bet thats why they are waiting..

Ah ha, someone looking at the bigger picture.

Shouldn't have long to wait I think the local planning decision is end of Jan, course if it goes the wrong way there might be a lengthy and costly appeal, but given recent Gov instructions regarding safeguarding small town high streets that might not be the safe bet it once was.

Coincidentally, end of Jan beginning of Feb isn't that the timescale Tesco's said it will be making it's intent at their Bedlington site known?

• 2 weeks later...

can i lie few myths to rest.

tescos havent bought the bank or traven, load of rubbish.

im not being funny but when the leafets were givin out about he bigger store, they said propsed.......not comfirmed plans.

from what i know when/if tescos expans the buildings on the front street will as they were and other ones tescos do own will be handed over to wansbeck busieness thing.

personal i dont think the tescos expanstion will get built due to the bigger Morpeth store having the go ahead. why have 2 big tescos within 4-5miles within each other.

Ms Barnes might have something to say about Tesco owning 'their' building.As for the 4-5 mile thing :D You might ask Asda that same question? Ashington, Blyth and Blyth Asda are planning to expand!

Ashington Blyth AND Blyth??? :D

The work on Blyth store starts end of march/early april. as for ashington, i've never heard any rumours...

Ashington Blyth AND Blyth??? :D

The work on Blyth store starts end of march/early april. as for ashington, i've never heard any rumours...

Read it properly and you'll get the gist! I meant that Asda Ashington and Blyth in context to his reference to distance concerning Tesco, Bedlington and Morpeth! I don't think I mentioned anything about any work being done at Asda Ashington.

the fact is Bedlington is left dead in the water. As for the 5 miles to Blyth or Morpeth.The government want us to drive 5 miles less per week. I would if I could shop locally.

Excellent Point!

stop squabbling.

No! Its one of the main reasons we come here ;):D

• Like 2

stop squabbling. the fact is Bedlington is left dead in the water. As for the 5 miles to Blyth or Morpeth.The government want us to drive 5 miles less per week. I would if I could shop locally.

Another argument for a means tested property rates system for local businesses. The current one size fits all scenario is shocking.

Other reasons being:

The previous anti small business attitude, and the we can count on the dummies in Bedlington to vote for us anyway, so let's centralise in Ashington - Labour led WDC.

Plus the locking the stable door after the horse has bolted Conservation Area, that wants to apply the same standards as a wealthy Southern rural area.

Together with the 15% unemployment carefully fostered by decades of state dependency, so-called employment protection legislation, and the too common belief that anyone that tries to better themselves is exploiting the community. (The Mandelsons of NuLabour no longer believe this, so why do we elect political dinosaurs who do? They're just laughed at an humoured by their very own party! This reinforces the idea that we are a bunch of political illiterates that can safely be sidelined.)

...all resulting in the sad fact that anyone with any enterprise generally buggers off South (or to countries external).

Which takes us back to all the former reasons, and the whole vicious circle feeding on itself.

personal i dont think the tescos expanstion will get built due to the bigger Morpeth store having the go ahead. why have 2 big tescos within 4-5miles within each other.

Tesco have two super stores in Leicester on the same streach of road and they are not more that three miles apart, not sure why they have done that but I would suspect its to stop the compertition.

I agree with previous posts that the likelihood of Bedlington getting a bigger Tesco is zero. It is a shame that this store has moved into our town, bought up buildings here and there, given us all hope that Bedlington was at last on the up so to speak, for what? so they could have a back up plan if their plans for Morpeth didn't go through.We will be left with a shop the same size as it has always been and loads of empty buildings around it, the old supermarket that is next to Tesco now has plants growing out of its top windows. It looks a mess, and lowers the tone of our town.

• Like 2

We will be left with a shop the same size as it has always been and loads of empty buildings around it, the old supermarket that is next to Tesco now has plants growing out of its top windows. It looks a mess, and lowers the tone of our town.

I agree, drove through Bedlington today and couldn't help but notice how odd the front street looks with a little Tesco shop sitting in the middle of a row of shuttered buildings.

Also couldn't help but noticing how dead the front street looked given it was a Saturday afternoon, the place was deserted.

I agree, drove through Bedlington today and couldn't help but notice how odd the front street looks with a little Tesco shop sitting in the middle of a row of shuttered buildings.

Also couldn't help but noticing how dead the front street looked given it was a Saturday afternoon, the place was deserted.

tescos might get something done now that the market taverns empty??????????

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now