Scottish Independence

willy j.

Does anyone have any idea what will happen to the Parliamentary Seats ie: Labour, Conservative etc. in Scotland if they vote yes on the 18th September? And the SNP members, plus the aforementioned sitting comfortably in the Commons.

I for one would hope that all SNP members be told that they are no longer members of the British Parliament, and as such they will no longer hold a seat in the Commons, nor will they be paid by the British Parliament. They must therefore seek their salary from the Scottish Assembly. Quickly collect your belongings and go.

The other three parties, who are now alien to Scotland, Should have to resign their seats as the Scottish nation will have no further say (governmentally) in the politics of the remaining United Kingdom. Scotland must then hold either by-elections for those seats, or a General Election of their own to consolidate a truly Scottish parliament.

If this happens, Labour will be the biggest losers in the Commons as they will lose 41 seats. This will move the Conservatives and UKIP further up the scale. I have a feeling that there may never be another Labour government in this country. Therefore, Ed Milliband can go back to where he belongs, as a waxwork dummy in Madame Tussauds.

Willy j.

I don't think any of the Westminster mob ever considered this; so - like many other matters - there is a complete lack of planning.  Isn't it 40 Labour seats plus a handful of LD ones (4?) from the borders etc.?  It might mean that a Miliband government would be very short lived.  Perhaps not a bad thing for up and coming parties who do surprisingly well, but not well enough, next time around, and are still building credibility for the final breakthrough.  Particularly those that plan for the medium term, and have a little more vision and purpose than the present gi's-a-cushy-job lot!

But, the lack of UK planning is going to be nothing to the lack of plans on Salmond's behalf.  There are many essentially loyal and nationalistic (with a small 'n') Scots who will simply go through with their threat to move to England.  There is no way that we can avoid border posts; having to show documents there, and the free flow of goods will cease.  There'll be mony a solid English pound to be made by nipping back and forth.  The Scot Nats are living in Cloud Cuckoo Land if they think they can cherry pick benefits without suffering a financial disaster, or that the UK will accept their demands meekly.  And, when it all goes TU for them, they'll do what they always do - blame the English!

Scotland has produced cohorts of the most brilliant and industrious people on the planet, but, for the most part, these people do what they've always done: take the high-road that leads him to England (and beyond) as quickly as they are able.  You could easily be forgiven for thinking that this must apply a self-fulfilling filter to the gene-pool north of the border!  The living proof of this interesting theory could well be Alex Salmond! :D

The Scots have never liked the English ruling over them so the visit by the heads of the three English/British political parties may backfire.

What happens to the Union Jack?

This is very true, Cameron's crying won't help a mickle! :)  In his Westminster cocoon, surrounded by spin doctors, he gets the public opinion stuff very wrong most of the time.  That's fatal for a politico who has no real principals and trades on public opinion.

I'm all for leaving UK and the UJ just the way it is.  It wasn't us who left!  On the other hand if we were to change it just to make the point that we've been released from a whinging and dependant marriage partner, who always thought that they could have done better, then, I'm open to persuasion.

This could sit nicely with a new self-reliant start outside the EU, and say the UK is open for business again. Without the fiscal drain of Scotland, and pointless EU membership fees, and without the dependency mentality that comes with this and "Scotland's oil", we can afford to invest in infrastructure and outlying areas like the NE. We don't want to kill the cash cow that is London, but we do need to wean the country away from the London centricity of our entire economy.

Unfortunately what looks likely is that just enough Scots are savvy enough to know that the UK benefits them greatly, and that Salmond is a false prophet (or profit?).  That, his one-party-state and command economy will tax and spend the ever diminishing oil revenues, whilst enterprise will get out of his control by hitting the road to England.  He won't honour his undertaking that the referendum will be the end of the matter, and will continue to whine whatever powers he gets.  The best we'll be able to make of a bad job is to decouple the Scottish economy as much as is possible.

The inevitable result of the ScotNats is that Scotland will become ever more dependant on the rest of the UK as they stew in their own greed, jealousy and stupidity, and their best talents continue to leave.  One can only hope the opinion polls are wrong, and they get what the ScotNats wish for!  No, that would be to adopt a ScotNat mentality and be entirely wrong!  Let's face it: we are stuck with a less-than-ideal partner who has a few redeeming features (though just at the moment these escape me ;) )!

Boswell: "Come, come, he is flattering the English. you have now been in Scotland, Sir, and say if you did not see meat and drink enough there." Johnson: "Why yes, Sir; meat and drink enough to give the inhabitants sufficient strength to run away from home."

Lots of info in the Guardian Q&A Symptoms, just goes to show what a hornets nest Salmond has disturbed. I am sure that the only losers in all this will be the Scottish nation, it may be some way down the line yet, unfortunately Salmond will probably have flown the nest and disappeared to a comfortable villa in Barbados.

When we start dismantling 'Faslane' and 17000 Jocks can see the dole speeding toward them, I think quite a few of them will be thinking: 'MMM!! I think we might just have made a big mistake here.' Then they find they have to adopt the Euro, a statutory condition for all new members, and find out the cost of being a member is absolutely outrageous. Then Brussels Mess with their laws, banning the bagpipes because they are too loud, Haggis because it's a health risk and the kilt on the grounds of human decency.

They will be really upset when they get their first billion Euro bill for struggling nation bail-outs. However, at least they can look forward to their support when they have to apply for a bail-out themselves.

I don't want Scotland to start this break up of the union, but if it happens I think the 3 Stooges are in big trouble. 'Statesmen' not one of them is a statesman, they fall far short of the people who went before them. Mind you it just demonstrates how crap they are because they had nothing to beat if the last 40 years are anything to go by.

We really do need a clear out in this country, and a fresh approach by firstly dragging back our wealth and sovereignty  from Brussels.

The price of Brent crude oil has fallen to its lowest level since June 2012. At one point it hit $96.81 a barrel with weak Chinese economic data blamed for the fall. That's because China is now the largest consumer of energy, so a slowdown in economic output, and specifically factory output, dents the price due.

But, Mousie, thou art no thy lane [you aren't alone]

In proving foresight may be vain:

The best laid schemes o' mice an' men

Gang aft a-gley, [often go awry]

An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,

For promised joy.

Looking like the worst possible outcome for the NE.  Even more of our resources to placate the UK loyalists north of the border, and the moaning Mcs will moan even more about their "subjugation".  Hoping the polls are wrong.

Fairness says we should now have a poll on whether we want to be associated with a nation that is in a perpetual state of having its hand out for more! Not much hope of that though. :(

Barnett has just said that his formula is grossly unfair to the rest of the UK, was only intended as temporary, and should have been scrapped long long ago. Instead our politicos have committed to heaping further pain onto the UK taxpayer.  Come UK polling day I hope that people have longer memories than the main political parties give them credit for.

According to research at Stirling University, England loses around £4.5 billion of public spending every year because the money is handed to Scotland instead.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/11100400/My-funding-formula-for-Scotland-is-a-terrible-mistake-Lord-Barnett-admits.html

Remember that £4.500,000,000 (and yet more again) when we are being told that we can't afford a few tens of thousands to keep this or that public service going locally!

I've been watching loads of Jocko stuff on the telly recently and I'm truly shocked that everybody shown, whether voxpop street interviews with punters or  formal interviews with McPoliticians, just how tubby they all are.  Everywhere you look there's treble chins, bingo wings and fat arses waddling down the Jocko roads ... disgusting!  No wonder their bit of the NHS is creaking under the strain and is trousering extra dosh from Blighty.

I've been watching loads of Jocko stuff on the telly recently and I'm truly shocked that everybody shown, whether voxpop street interviews with punters or  formal interviews with McPoliticians, just how tubby they all are.  Everywhere you look there's treble chins, bingo wings and fat arses waddling down the Jocko roads ... disgusting!  No wonder their bit of the NHS is creaking under the strain and is trousering extra dosh from Blighty.

I know I should take this more seriously but, just like everyone interviewed on the streets of Scotland & Berwick, it's too complex for my small brain to work out if it's a good move for either party what ever the public votes. When I found the video I was looking for on the main reason for the 'tubbiness' in Scotland couldn't help breaking down the web address dispaled on the video - www.mullo fkin tyre.co:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb_P46gNf_k

Last time I was at bedlington never seen many slim people there in fact it looked like they were eating very well must be very affluent

Now!!!!, mmmm I guess you've been to Scotland recently or watching propaganda on tv typical....

Oh no!  They've voted to keep trousering the Blighty handouts. We're now going to suffer years and years of McPoliticians on Blighty screens demanding more and more and more.   On a positive note the result will now mean there is no threat of a 1000 year Tory Reich as those 40 odd Jocko Labour MPs will help keep the bastards at bay.

The bosses at the Acme Dripping & Lard (London) Company were be celerbrating the massive increase in their share price this morning ... obviously there'll be no cross-border trade tariffs due on their daily freight trains going into Waverley Station each morning.  Meanwhile, Mars Incorporate, makers of Mars Bars, have also indicated that their daily M6 convoys will continue with deliveries.

...On a positive note the result will now mean there is no threat of a 1000 year Tory Reich as those 40 odd Jocko Labour MPs will help keep the bastards at bay...

I wouldn't be so sure about that. It will have been carefully explained to Cameron the Confused that his latest blunder has some likely upside.  In his current "the people have spoken, we must have more real democracy" mode Teflon Tony's cunning plan to allow Scottish MPs to vote on English matters is going to come under a lot of pressure.

Actually it's getting so close to the GE now that Cameron - if he had any guts - could produce an all-embracing electoral reform plan solo, and then challenge the rest of them to vote it down.  He hasn't, so he wont!

It will all be down to the highly democratic deals that can be done in those smoke-filled rooms, and Labour will be put under max pressure to give up some of the the electoral advantages it has cooked up for itself.  Also, all the politicos have now got troubles with their own constituents - the party leaders having been seen to have been promising the earth to Scotland.  With a general election coming up, they may be emboldened to stand up to party whips, and actually vote against their own party before the more-goodies-for-Scotland train leaves the station. This will be particularly true for those who've fully woken up to the UKIP threat to their lifestyle.

Two by-elections coming up real soon.  We live in interesting times!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now