A Picnic To Remember..

Brilliant job ... and the lass with the cerise locks knew exactly where the blame rightly lay for for it all coming to an end.  I'm sure that the Thatcher apologists who lurk here will be along shortly to blame it all on the Unions.

Edited by Symptoms

...I'm sure that the Thatcher apologists who lurk here will be along shortly to blame it all on the Unions.

MT doesn't need any apologists, she did what she had to do for the entire country!  I don't have any problem with trades unions, they too do what they have to do.  I do however have a problem with people who have highly selective memories, and people who demonise others, and particularly with people who feed subsequent generations half-truths.

Scargill was not the trade union movement; or even the NUM; or even that part of the NUM he split! He isn't a demon either; or evil; or any of the silly mindless substitute-for-thought left-wing labels you would apply.  He's actually a rather sad old guy who is still at odds with his own union, and thinks they (and the rest of the world) owe him a living. I don't take any delight at the NUM throwing him out of his subsidised flat - he's still living in his own dream world, and still way beyond any rational argument.  I do sympathise with those who were taken in by him, but I do not sympathise with their entirely misplaced and soul-destroying bitterness.

The world is a lot more complex place than people who chant mindless slogans, and blame others for their own lack of foresight, can admit to!  Problems are deep rooted, and there are few simple solutions, and certainly none that don't require a bit of personal pain and effort.  Feeding future generations thoughtless crap in order to perpetuate your own bitterness is about as mindless as it gets.  It might make you feel better about yourself, but it doesn't help you, or anyone else  - now or in the future.

Oh, and I gave the video 5*.  Not for its historical accuracy, or balance, but for capturing the nostalgia we all share.

• 3 weeks later...

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now