30 replies to this topic

#21 keith

keith

Senior Bedlingtonian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:42 PM

If that was taken at North Seaton - looking south - across the North Seaton Bridge, then could not the circled chimney be the Dr. Pit?

Would have thought Dr Pit would be further to the left ??. What about Barmoor at Hepscot ?

#22 keith lockey

keith lockey

Senior Bedlingtonian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:05 PM

Take a look at the red circled bridge concrete 'ends' on these two photos. They are of North Seaton Bridge. The 'Ends' are similar. I honestly think they are the North Seaton Black Bridge Viaduct.

north seaton bridge.jpg Stakeford.jpg

You have to really zoom in on the second one.

Edited by keith lockey, 31 December 2012 - 06:06 PM.

#23 keith

keith

Senior Bedlingtonian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:25 PM

You might just have it sunshine !. If you look at the old pic on the left at far end of bridge. That could be what becomes Wansbeck Tce, that runs from the signal box to the Foresters. In the new pic the the photographer was standing below the allotments behind Wansbeck Tce on the riverside path.

Edited by keith, 31 December 2012 - 06:29 PM.

#24 keith lockey

keith lockey

Senior Bedlingtonian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:30 PM

You might just have it sunshine !. If you look at the old pic on the left at far end of bridge. That could be what becomes Wansbeck Tce, that runs from the signal box to the Foresters. In the new pic the the photographer was standing below the allotments behind Wansbeck Tce on the riverside path.

You see, not just a pretty face. The proof would be to take a close up of the north seaton concrete bridge ends and see if they match the photos. (Of course they could have been changed!)

#25 Adam Hogg

Adam Hogg

Bedlingtonian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:30 PM

You see, not just a pretty face. The proof would be to take a close up of the north seaton concrete bridge ends and see if they match the photos. (Of course they could have been changed!)

Look to be stone to me Keith in the older photo, so they may have been replaced with concrete later on.

#26 keith

keith

Senior Bedlingtonian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

We have a stable on the allotments behind Wansbeck Tce. It's the closest one to the bridge, not far from where the 2nd pic was taken from. When I was down there this morning to see to the ponies I stood and had a good look and I'm pretty sure that, that is the right place.

Edited by keith, 01 January 2013 - 12:33 PM.

#27 Symptoms

Symptoms

Bedlingtonian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

The tags on those photos are mid to late 1920s and clearly identify the River Blyth and the Cleveland Bridge Co. So those dates correspond to the construction period of the Bedlington Railway Bridge (The Black Bridge) which opened in 1930 - see: http://www.bridgeson...uk/bedrail.html

But, but, but, the North Seaton Railway Bridge (the Black Bridge) also fits and was opened a year or two earlier - see: http://www.bridgeson...k/nstnrail.html

There's nothing on the Cleveland Bridge Co website about them so I reckon a bit of time spent looking at an old OS map and trying to plot the position of that chimney may confirm matters.

Edited by Symptoms, 01 January 2013 - 04:18 PM.

#28 Symptoms

Symptoms

Bedlingtonian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

I've just looked at some old OS here: http://www.ponies.me....15651250330744

for both locations and plotting orientation of bridge with that chimney doesn't really help as both bridges have mulitple colleries in the the crucial direction. But checking the map contour lines would suggest a less steep river valley, therefore the Wansbeck. The old OS map shows an island or bank below the North Seaton Bridge but I didn't see on in the photos but maybe it's there ... another job for 'our eyes on the ground'.

Tip: you can get rid of the faded 'overlay image' by using the slider below the map.

Edited by Symptoms, 01 January 2013 - 04:58 PM.

#29 keith

keith

Senior Bedlingtonian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:57 AM

You need to remember, when looking at old maps that the Wansbeck will have changed because of the dam. There is an island a couple of hundred yards downstream from the bridge that mostly dissapears after heavy rainfall (we cant blame the high tide, like the t.v. reporters blamed for flooding Morpeth ) anymore as the river is no longer tidal above the dam.

#30 keith

keith

Senior Bedlingtonian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:12 AM

I've just looked at some old OS here: http://www.ponies.me....15651250330744

for both locations and plotting orientation of bridge with that chimney doesn't really help as both bridges have mulitple colleries in the the crucial direction. But checking the map contour lines would suggest a less steep river valley, therefore the Wansbeck. The old OS map shows an island or bank below the North Seaton Bridge but I didn't see on in the photos but maybe it's there ... another job for 'our eyes on the ground'.

Tip: you can get rid of the faded 'overlay image' by using the slider below the map.

Looking at those maps I am even more convinced it is the Wansbeck. The Inn that is marked will be the Foresters, its right on the bend in West Sleekburn, you can see the island in the wider part of the river behind it . It can be still seen today as I mentioned in the previous post.

#31 mercuryg

mercuryg

Bedlingtonian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:48 AM

This reminds me of something: watching old footage of Attlee Park miners picnics at Woodhorn Museum, the camera pans around to look out over the bridge; there is a tall wooden-looking bridge in the background. Where it go to, come from, and when?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users